Now that I am older (27), I have learned so much. Of course, like everyone else, there are things I wish I could redo or change.
But we learn from our mistakes right?
It’s so true- but maybe I can help you with a few pointers, so that you can heed my advice 🙂
These are the 10 things that I would tell my 15 year old self, if I could go back in time..
1. Don’t try so hard to please others. In the end, you are on your own in your feelings so do what you feel is right and don’t get so bent out of shape when people tell you what to do, just say “Ok” and go about your business. Sometimes its good to listen to others, and other times you just need to trust your own instincts.
2. Stay calm and carry on. Just take what you learn and catalog it to return to it when needed. Don’t dwell on mistakes just learn from them. No one is perfect. Other people are so focused on themselves they probably won’t take as much notice as what you think. Don’t worry about what other people are doing, just go after what you want.
3. Follow your dreams. This one is so important because you are going to look back at your life and say “Why didn’t I?” I would much rather work harder at accomplishing goals instead of saying “I wish.” Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it! If you want something bad enough, you will find a way and no one is going to be able to stop you. Be passionate and you will succeed.
4. There will always be haters. There will always be someone a little better at things than you. Just push forward and maybe one day you will be ahead of them. Hey, it can happen if you believe in yourself! You can do anything you set your mind to. It sounds cliche’ but its so true! Don’t waste your time worrying, but bettering yourself.
5. Focus. If you want to learn something, teach yourself, don’t wait. Do it now! You want to do something? Then go for it! Take one skill at a time and perfect it, then choose something else to master. Trust me, you don’t want to go after it all at once.
6. Take your time in life. Don’t rush into extreme life decisions, especially intimacy because this is an event that could change your life forever. You have plenty of time to experience things and you aren’t missing out on anything if its stupid. Just because “everyone” is doing it, doesn’t make it cool. Be young and enjoy it, but make wise choices that you know you won’t regret.
7. Say what you mean and mean what you say. This is a learned skill that will take some time because you learn new things everyday and your opinion changes so much, that its best to just not say anything unless you are completely educated on the subject matter.
8. You are an awesome individual. We are all different and you have unique qualities to offer the world. Don’t let what you see from other people make you think you are any less. You don’t know what other people are thinking or doing to get what you are seeing. You may desire what others are doing are have, but just be happy for them and remember to focus on daily bettering yourself. You have value that you can share with others, it takes time to find.
9. Be yourself. Your appearance, attitude and style are all your own, so own it! We are all a little weird and that’s OK, because there is no such thing as “normal”. Don’t be afraid to stand out. If you like something, then that makes it cool in your eyes. You don’t need validation from anyone else, because you already confirmed it in your own opinion. Trust me, there is someone else out there that also thinks so. Don’t try to be like everyone else. You don’t have to shop at the same places or like the same things. You have so much to offer the world, help them see it through your eyes.
10. Don’t assume you “Can’t”. Remove this word from your vocabulary. Take chances and step out of your comfort zone. You just might surprise yourself! You are ultimately in charge of your destiny. Make your life what you want it to be. There is only one you and you only have one life to live, so make it fantastically memorable.
So those are mine.. what about you? Is there something you wish you could tell your 15 year old self? Let me know in the comments below…