TIOT Blog Post- Birthing Stories

TIOT: Giving Birth as a Young Mom

It’s Talk It Out Tuesday!

“Do you have a birthing story to share with an expectant young mom?”

Pregnancy can be scary at any age, but especially as a young, pregnant teen. One of our followers wanted to know if any of the other young moms out there have birthing stories that they could share with us. So we asked… and you answered! Here are a few of the stories:


abbylockyerrr IG User

IG User @abbylockyerrr says… I was 3 days past my due date, and my mom and I had been out all day shopping, after we got home I started having mild contractions, I was already 5 cm dilated and I thought this could be it! I got to the triage and they checked me, still only 5 cm, so they had me walk around the hospital for an hour and a half. They checked me again and I was 7 1/2 cm! I was so excited. So they put me in a room and I waited.. and waited.. And guess what? Waited! Haha. Around 1 am my midwife broke my water. I started having labor around an hour later, so I got some medicine in my IV and I fell asleep for a little, then I woke up having to poop around 4 am. I bolted to the toilet and barely anything came out so the nurse had to get me off the toilet and my midwife checked me and I was 10 cm and they had me start pushing, I pushed for about 50 minutes and I had my baby in my arms ❤


just.ashaa IG User


IG User @just.ashaa says…

I’m a 15 year old single mom. The baby’s daddy came up to the hospital when I had Jensen. He wasn’t in the delivery room because he said he was “sick to his stomach”. Jensen was born all natural, on September 8th, 2014 at 20 inches long and 7.8 pounds.




YMC Admin Kim N.YMC Admin Kim N. says…

I have two girls so I’ve got two different stories to tell about my very different experiences with the birthing process. My first daughter was born when I was only 17. I started to feel very early labor symptoms and small contractions at about 6 am. I had a rough night’s sleep so I was exhausted already. That day the contractions lasted throughout the whole day and I was doing everything I could to stay busy and walking around because I didn’t want to be stuck in a hospital bed until I absolutely had to. Finally just before 9 pm I was at the drugstore getting ice cream and kept having to drop to the floor because the pain was getting worse so my mom and my boyfriend at the time decided it was time to go to the hospital. I was admitted around 9 pm and was only about 4 1/2 cm dilated. After a few hours, I was told the baby’s heartbeat was dropping so they wanted me to get an IV and monitor hooked up, so they administered Nubain for the pain. Then after hours of waiting, at around 1 am, my nurse told me I was basically “stuck” at 5 cm and wasn’t going to get any further along until I slept. By then the drugs were wearing off so they insisted I get an epidural. I was so insistent that I was going to have the baby without an epidural, I argued with the doctors until they finally convinced me. Once I got the epidural hooked up, I fell asleep and when I woke up the nurse decided that it was time for them to break my water. A few hours later, they came back to administer Pitocin to move things along but, surprise! She was ready to come out by then. I had a painless delivery since I had gotten the epidural and all went so well after that.

My second daughter was born was almost 6 years later and was a totally different experience. I woke up with pretty decent labor pains around 7:30 am. Within an hour I realized that the contractions were getting much more intense and that this baby was NOT going to wait much longer to make an appearance! So we left for the hospital close to 9 am and I was admitted immediately. I knew things were moving along really quickly so I was adamant that they called the anesthesiologist right away to get my epidural. They were making me wait for what seemed like forever and all I could think about were those movies where the doctor tells the mom that it’s too late and she’s just going to have to do it naturally, so I threw a hardcore fit. I was cursing at everyone, yelling, and acting super demanding to the point where they had to close the door to my room. LOL. Finally the anesthesiologist showed up and got me all set up and before I knew it, it was early afternoon and they were telling me it was time to push. There was one little problem… I was so drugged up that I couldn’t feel any pressure or feel any muscle control so I couldn’t even push when I was told to! They even had to have people hold my legs up on either side because I was too numb to do it myself. I coughed and they said, “Wait, do that again!”. I kind of looked at them like they were crazy, but they said when I coughed my stomach muscles tensed and it was like I was pushing. I laughed at the thought of that and they said, “Oh, do that again too!” since that worked the same way coughing did. So at that point I literally had to laugh/cough my daughter out of me. It felt like the silliest thing ever!

So now that we’ve shared our stories, we hope that our YMC teen mom that asked this question has a smooth and successful delivery and a healthy, happy baby! Did you have an interesting birthing story you want to share? Comment below!

If anyone else has a subject they want help or feedback on, make sure you fill out our form to be anonymously featured on the next Talk it out Tuesday here. Also, as always, feel free to share this article and leave a comment below!


1801 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.