We all wanna stay healthy so we can look and feel our best. But when the heck are we supposed to find the time to hit the gym?
Here’s 10 super easy ways to put a little extra “oopmh” in your fitness routine doing everyday activities we might not even think about during our day.
1. Take the Stairs! I know, sounds silly…. but seriously, how many times a day do you take the elevator when you’re going to work or even just at the mall running errands? Any chance you get, use the stairs if you can to get in those extra steps each day. It all adds up! If you really wanna keep track, get a FitBit or download a walking tracker app like Map My Walk or Moves so you can see how many steps you walk each day. The answer might surprise you!
2. Get Outside! Your kids love attention and love to play with you. Next time instead of watching a movie or playing a board game, get the kids and go outside! Ride your bikes together, play hopscotch or jump rope together, or even just get out and play a silly game of mommy and me soccer. You’re a young mom, so it’s super awesome that you have the energy to try and keep up with your little one. Take advantage of that! (Trust me, your kids AND your body will thank for this one.)
3. Use Your TV Time! Yeah, it’s recommended not to let your kids watch too much TV. I’m usually pretty good about that rule, but I can admit that there are some days where Doc McStuffins is my mother’s helper so I can get stuff done or even just take a breather. Use this downtime where the kids are singing along with the TV to get in some simple exercise! Take a few minutes to do some wall squats or even just some stretching.
4. Load It Up! The endless piles of laundry… a mother’s work is never done. But why not use this uber-awful chore to lose weight? If you stand with the dirty laundry to your side and get back from the washer about 10 feet, you can turn at the hips every time you throw laundry in. Try doing this with the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer… those things get heavy!
5. Work It! So some of these are great if you’re a SAHM, but what if you’re stuck at work all day at a desk job? Walk around the office as much as possible! Even just every hour to make your rounds to get some steps in. Stuck at your desk and can’t really move freely? Butt squeezes! Hey, stop giggling so I can explain… LOL. Even if you sit all day, clench your butt muscles for 5 seconds and then relax. I know that sounds silly, but if you do this for even just 2 minute increments regularly, you’ll see a difference! (I might even be doing them right now as I write this blog.)
6. Joggers Unite! Got a little one that loves to go on walks in the stroller? Make an investment in a jogging stroller. It’s a great way for you and the itty-bitty one to get some sunshine and for mom to get her butt in gear! Added bonus to this one: a lot of the time, the kids will fall asleep by the end so you just solved naptime too. High-five! 🙂
7. Just Dance! I am not big on letting my older kids play video games. However, there is one exception to the rule and ok, I’ll admit, it’s partly for selfish reasons. I LOVE to play “Just Dance” with my kids on Wii or XBox Kinect. We have so much fun girly bonding time and get to be totally goofy and carefree, but what the girls don’t know is that I’m sweating my butt off and burning calories at the same time! If you haven’t tried this yet, I have to say you should totally try it out. (On a side note, I’m terrible at real dancing. Oh, and my favorite song to “Just Dance” to is “Apache (Jump On It)” by the Sugarhill Gang. Don’t judge me!)
8. Use Your Kids! That sounded weird, I think. Let’s try that again… you don’t need fancy gym equipment to work out. Kick it back old school and have your kids participate! Have your toddler sit on your feet while you do sit-ups. Do lunges when you’re feeding your baby in the high-chair. Find fun ways to incorporate working out that your kids can be a part of too so workout time isn’t interrupted and neither is your life!
9. Just Keep Swimming! I’ve got to mention this one because my kids are like fish. They can’t get out of the pool all summer. If you don’t have a private pool, find a friend or family member with a community pool in their complex or even a public pool at a YMCA or a high school. Heck, if you can’t find one you like, take a drive down to the beach if you’ve got one nearby.
10. Keep Eating! WAIT! I don’t mean sit there with a tub of ice cream and a box of Ho-Ho’s. But it IS super important to keep eating small, healthy snacks throughout the day. Make sure you eat breakfast to kick start your day (and your metabolism). The rest of the day, don’t forget to eat! It’s so easy to skip a meal or go hours without eating as a young mom because we have a million other things to do, but it’s so important to keep your energy levels high!